Thursday, February 09, 2012

MY NAME IS NOT DENISE

My husband and I purchased a house last year and subsequently had to change our home phone number with the move to a new area. With as many phone numbers that are distributed these days, it’s a wonder that we received one with an area code and exchange native to our location. With all of the strange area codes around, I’m scared that making an auto service appointment is going to cost me $1.95 per minute. 

This means that I recognize that we are probably not the first people to have owned our phone number, and perhaps won’t be the last, unless, they retire our number because we are SO awesome, a la Dale Hunter. But, that probably won’t happen.

So, I shouldn’t be surprised when we get calls for someone named Denise. 

Let me tell you about Denise (whose last name shall go without mention lest I be sued for defamation of character.) Denise is a deadbeat. Denise doesn’t pay her bills and she has a LOT of bills. Denise’s bill collectors are RUDE. Denise probably kicked puppies although I’ve been unable to prove this. 

But there are a few strange things I’ve noticed about the new culture of collections:
  1. Phones are dialed electronically and when you answer them, you have to say “hello” 14 times before someone responds. Sometimes they don’t respond at all.
  2. Sometimes it is an auto-message that says something to this effect: “Your account is seriously delinquent. Please call us at 1-800-blah blah blah with case number blah blah blah to take care of this issue.” This would then require me, who is NOT Denise, to call them to ask them to quit calling. Why should I have to do that?
  3. Or sometimes it is an ACTUAL person that wonders why you are answering Denise’s phone while claiming NOT to know Denise. Then you politely explain that this is your NEW phone number and no longer Denise’s, and that you wish to have your number removed from her record. And I love when after explaining all of that, they ask if you know what Denise’s new number is or where she moved to.
Let me explain. We do not know Denise. Never knew Denise. Denise did not live in our house. Phone numbers do not transfer with homes. We have no way of knowing where Denise is or ever was for that matter. Or why she doesn’t pay her bills. But yet they continue to call.

Oh, and then there was the issue with caller ID with third party phone companies. Now, when I call my family my father answers the phone “Hi Denise!”

Not funny.

Although, perhaps I should ask him if he knows where Denise is?

Denise, if you are reading this I implore you! Please call these companies and update your contact info STAT!

6 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

We are still getting calls for Sharon, and we've lived here more than 2 years. Go figure.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

i got three calls recently, from a very pissed off woman in south carolina, looking for another woman named shaniqua or something. i said i'm sorry, you have the wrong number. she said 'oh i KNOW this shaniqua!' i said, politely, 'no this is jennifer. i don't know any shaniqua'. she said 'mmmmmmhmmmm.... i know this shaniqua'. and then she hung up on me. and then she called back two more times - i let it go to voicemail, which clearly states 'hi, you've reached jennifer at artsy cartsy...' she didn't call again.

i get calls for this person all the time. when i first got the number, i used to get phone calls for people looking to dial into their sprint voicemail.

i have had this number for 10 years. it amazes me that i still have this problem.

when i had a t-mobile account as well, i used to get calls for some guy from the phillipines CONSTANTLY who was also a deadbeat and also did not pay bills. i would periodically get text messages in tagalog too. that was always fun.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Kevin Whorton, Whorton Marketing & Research said...

Sorry, I told them Denise lived there. My bad!

7:52 PM  
Anonymous house cleaner in salt lake said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:05 AM  
Blogger The Cat Guy said...

We still get the mail from collection agencies from the deadbeat people who used to live at our house, even though they haven't lived here in 6 years!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing general information.

House Painters Perth | Roof Painting Perth | Wall Paper Perth

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home